Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hoop Dreams

It has been many many years since I've seen Hoop Dreams. At the time, to me it was just a film about two young boys pursuing their dream and I did not think much about the social circumstances surrounding them. Now viewing parts of it again, and especially the trailer, I admit that bell hooks does have a point. To some (black and white) viewers, the film might suggest that certain ethnic groups or minorities should only follow certain preexisting career paths. But I do not think that this is the film's fault or that you can criticize the filmmakers for it, it is rather the larger socio-political problem that is displayed in the film, which limits young black men's access to higher education and training if they come from an urban background.

No comments:

Post a Comment