Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hoop Dreams

I watched the trailer for "Hoop Dreams" and the first 10 minutes courtesy of YouTube, it made me want to watch the entire film. The story seemed interesting, unique and I wanted to learn about these kids trying to make it big in the NBA. I watched the clips, before reading the hooks essay, so I formed my own opinion first.

I found the trailer to be inspiring. I thought it showed the lives of some struggling black families, with kids who have talent. I didn't see it as an attack on those who were unfortunate, like hook said a lot of people saw the movie. However, I haven't seen the entire film, so my opinion isn't a very good one.

However, I did find it interesting that hooks, although she felt alienated in the theaters, encourages others to see this film for its "positive aspects of black life that make survival possible." I really liked that statement she made early on in the essay.

Also, since this film is in fact a documentary, it doesn't leave any room for falsities we have seen of black inner city life films. Unlike a film like Juice or Do the Right Thing, this movie depicts the real life struggles inner city families face. It's not all about gangs and violence, but instead the fear of not making it into the NBA, not being good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment