Thursday, November 4, 2010

hoop dreams

I have to agree with bell hooks, that Hoop Dreams was a popular documentary because it portrayed images that the general public was comfortable with. It did not really bring about anything that was controversial. I think that it told a story a lot of people wanted to see, that despite whatever circumstances life gives you, you can overcome them and still succeed in life. I do disagree with bell hooks' argument that the film used black bodies as a commodity, because this argument could be made about any sports movies, describing any body of any color. I think it was interesting that bell hooks brought up that fact that the mothers in the film are unlike common stereotypes of black mothers, and instead offer support and care for their sons. Despite bell hooks' arguments, I think that people just like to see a story about someone accomplishing their dreams, and it makes it even more exciting when it's a true story.

No comments:

Post a Comment