Tuesday, November 16, 2010

For Colored Girls

The title of the film was supposed to be "For colored girls who have considered sucicide when the rainbow wasnt enuf" so I guess I should have expected the film to be full of tragic stories. Yet through the whole film I was waiting for one character to be the one who inspires the others or who has an uplifting story, but all of the characters had something negative happen in their lives. I did not hate the movie but I definitely didn't like it. I think it promotes the idea that there is nothing positive among black women wheter they are poor or not. The film also gave the idea that you can't trust black men, only two were actually kind to women and one was gay, cheating on his wife and gave her HIV so it doesn't really count. Other parts of the film were over dramatic, such has Michael Ealy's character. I was wondering how Tyler Perry made his decision to show the really graphic events and which ones not to. He didn't show the abortion, or the childrens murder but he showed the rape very dramatically. I also didn't think his transition into the poems from dialogue was very well done, I was confused and didn't understand them. Another intersting aesthetic was when Jo and her husband were talking in the bedroom they weren't facing eachother as they talked, but you'd think when you were confronting your husband about something serious like finding out he gave you HIV and he's been cheating on you you would be a little more confrontational. Over all the film was interesting to see, but not very well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment