Thursday, October 21, 2010

Spike Lee

I think the only films by Spike Lee that I've seen are "Do the Right Thing" and "Get on the Bus". From what I've read, the latter is more the transformative of the two, but neither is his most transformative work. In "Do the Right Thing", Lee's character Mookie doesn't make any true development. He starts the riot at the pizza place where he works--even though his boss has always been good to him--and after the whole riot, he still demands money. I think this is a negative portrayal of the Black urban male. "Get on the Bus" is slightly more transformative, because the characters clearly learn things as the movie progresses.
On page 25 in Massood, Lee's comments about sexuality really struck me. I liked that he wasn't afraid to look critically at gender roles and expectations, especially from a woman's point of view. He admits women are treated unfairly. I've never seen "She's Gotta Have it," but I want to now.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Nicole. Nice comparison of Bus and Right Thing. And we will have the chance to see some of She's Gotta Have It; sorry we did not get to it today. Actually, what his statement reminded me of is something -- and I am embarrassed to admit I watch it -- the "Situation" said on Jersey Shore. He makes a statement about women being able to do like men do, but then in the episode he punishes the character Angelina for doing so. I think Lee does the same thing. He is intrigued with the idea of Nola, but ultimately against it as seen in the "rape scene." Interestingly enough, I have had classes fight over if the scene Wallace refers to is in fact "rape." It will be interesting to hear what this class thinks.

    ReplyDelete