Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sex workers as transformative?

I think it's possible for a female sex worker to be transformative in film. Obviously, she can't be just a stereotype, but it goes further than that. Is she content with allowing herself to be degraded, or is she struggling with her profession? Does she plan on doing that job forever, or is she trying to break out of it? Does she change? Does she want a better life for herself? Or does she think her only role in life is pleasing men?
bell hooks's essay about "Girl 6" made me curious to see the film. I knew the plot of the film, and I was surprised she praised it so much, but her essay made a lot of sense. Spike Lee tries something new in "Girl 6" when representing women. Even if it's not the ideal representation, it's still important that he's trying--everything comes in time, even if it takes awhile.
I didn't find hooks's arguments about "Exotica" as compelling, and I could hardly follow the plot of the movie. Therefore, I'm still unsure about the "Transormativeness" of the character Christina.

No comments:

Post a Comment