Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Hip Hop Cinema"

As I said in class, for me the mainstream appeal of this music and cinema is the glamorization of dangerous elements. I've never lived in an urban area, so I can't assess whether or not they accurately depict life (although I assume it's grossly exaggerated). Most movies and TV are exaggerated--Gossip Girl isn't what high school is really like.
Although, I bet that real life "thugs" rely on the threatening images portrayed in movies. This keeps them in a position of power, and keeps them feared and respected on the streets. This also has a backlash--to ignorant white moviegoers, every urban black person becomes a threat because that's what the movies show. Also, I said in class, this had a similar effect on Italian Americans. I think any time an ethnic group is portrayed one way, ignorant consumers (and there are far too many out there) assume that is an accurate stereotype.
Because hip hop is very popular right now, it is hard to avoid the gangsta stereotype, but just like all stereotypes, it will eventually be revealed as just that.

1 comment:

  1. All really good points. And it is interesting, as you bring up, how other Euro-ethnic groups are still stereotyped in film and the cinema, especially Irish Americans, Italian Americans, and ethno-religious groups. Spike Lee is notorious for this type of typification. That being said, I am less hopeful than you when it comes to stereotypes being dismantled. I think many do and continue to see the stereotype as the truth, and even when presented with something different can they recognize it as different because the stereotype is more powerful. There are more people who are working class and live in urban areas and who are not in gangs, but I do not know that hip-hop cinema or any type of popular culture will ever show or realize that...Poetic Justice tried, but even that film has its problems.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete