Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Love Lie

I think the big lie in romance films is that the relationship is going to work out in the end eventually, no matter what has happened before, but in the end it is all going to be good. Of course many people know that this is not true (therefore the expression 'it's like in the movies') but still I think it does not bother most people because if we wanna see a bad relationship we can just look around. Watching films is also about escaping reality to a certain degree, and in that sense people watch romance movies to see a couple living happily ever after in the end. Of course this is especially appealing to women, who usually enjoy those kind of movies more than men, because (I hate to say this but from my own experiences it is actually true) many women have had bad experiences with men in terms of relationships (don't get me wrong, it's not that I treated one of my girlfriends badly or anything but I have many female friends and almost all of them have had boyfriends who were assholes). In that sense, I think those movies portray an alternative reality where differences can always be overcome in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment