Thursday, December 2, 2010

For Colored Gurls

While I didn't exactly enjoy the film I respect what it was trying to do. If you understand that it is a screenplay written for the stage and not the big screen it is easier to digest. I respect that it stayed true to its form but I think Tyler Perry needs to understand that the audience he is playing to will not enjoy or unlikely to enjoy this type of film. In this same aspect I think the screenplay encouraged overacting as is common in stage acting. There is brilliant acting in this film but the monolouges do not help this much. Things I did enjoy were the progression of the African women in the film is progressive for the Female African American community. They all seperated themselves from the masculine male counterparts. After watching this film I do want to see the play as this is where the story got much of the fame, but as a film I probably will never watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment